Thursday 21 May 2009

My first completed miniature sculpt!

I've finally got a photo of my first completed mini sculpt - it's one of a bunch of alien critters I started a while ago. He's about 13mm-15mm 'tall'.

I've entered him into the Black Scorpion sculpting 'sculpt an alien critter' competition so we'll see how he does in a week or so. :-D

I had many initial thumbnail concepts and the final thing has changed quite a bit from my original ideas but I'm quite happy with how he's turned out.

It's been a great experience building a mini from scratch and I think I may have caught the bug for it. For the moment I'm going to stick to doing unusual critters and keep the scale small so that I can practice and improve putty working and accuracy at a reasonably small scale.

Although saying that I'm very tempted to have a go at a humanoid just to get a feel for the difficulties involved in that kind of work.

Here's the pics (click to see bigger pic):

3 comments:

  1. Hi there, I'm glad to find another miniature sculptor. Check out my blog on http://riseofsolaria.blogspot.com/
    Cheers and keep on sculpting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That's damn good for a first time sculpt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Solaria I'll keep an eye on your blog thanks for the link!

    @Kingdom Death Hehe - thanks, I'm finding doing hard edges a totally different experience. I've had several failed attempts at weapons since this sculpt but my other poses for this creature are coming along nicely :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for looking at my blog and taking the time to make a comment. Please keep it clean, it's a family show, many thanks in advance. :-)

Note to Firefox users - I'm using embedded comments and have found that Firefox on a mac doesn't seem to work with it (at least for me). Safari works fine though.